APPLIANCE MAINTENANCE TIPS
Sometimes, it’s the simple things in life that make us happy…like our home appliances. For instance, there’s nothing better than throwing on fresh, warm clothes from the dryer or grabbing ice cold water on a hot, summer day.
We don’t realize how much we rely on the appliances in our home until they don’t work anymore. If you want your dishwasher, stove, refrigerator, and other home appliances to work properly, you have to keep them in top condition.
How To Maintain Your Refrigerator
You can increase your refrigerator’s efficiency by 30% with our tips below:
- You should clean your refrigerator every 6 to 12 months. Take everything out, throw out any expired food, and wipe it down. You should also clean the condenser coils on a regular basis.
- Freezers should be located away from sunlight or other heat sources — this makes their job much harder to accomplish. Remove any ice build-up to improve your unit’s airflow and maintain proper freezer temperatures.
- Always close the door completely to make sure it’s airtight.
- Set the temperature to around 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
How To Maintain Your Washing Machine
- Check the connections to ensure both the cold and hot water faucets are not leaking. Check out the drain line while you’re at it as well!
- Don’t overload! If your machine is packed with clothes, it will use more effort to circle them around. This adds more strain to your system and uses more energy.
- It’s not good to underload your machine either. Small loads can lead to off-balance cycles in the future, which can also strain your system.
How To Maintain Your Clothes Dryer
- Avoid overloading — this will put a strain on the belt that turns the dryer, leading to repairs.
- Always clean your lint filter after every finished load— it will help keep your dryer operating efficiently.
- Use detergent every three months to remove the chemical residue that clings to the filter and restricts airflow.
- Clean your duct line at least once a year.
How To Maintain Your Dishwasher
- Set the water heater to 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If your system has the ‘Overnight Dry’ feature, use it whenever possible!
- Weekly inspect the condition of the door seal. If there’s any water or dirt build-up, clean it right away to avoid mold growth.
- Be careful when loading your dishwasher— you don’t want to damage the racks. Dishwasher racks are expensive, and you might as well buy a new dishwasher at that point.
How To Maintain Your Oven
- Clean your range top oven.
- A gas oven with a good ventilation system is the most energy-efficient choice.
Common Appliance Issues That Need Repair
It’s important that you know the signs of a problem with one of your appliances to avoid an unexpected breakdown and interruption to your daily life. A few common issues include:
- Washer not spinning or draining.
- Dryer takes too long to dry clothes.
- Burnt or electrical smell in dryer.
- Burners not working.
- Control panel on oven doesn’t work.
- Not keeping the proper temperature in refrigerator or freezer section.
- Refrigerator not making ice.
- Dishwasher door does not close properly or falls to the ground.
- Dishes not being cleaned in dishwasher.
If these tips still don’t help your appliances work properly, contact Universe Home Services. Our Long Island technicians specialize in repairs for all major brands of washers, dryers, refrigerators, ranges, cooktops, ovens, dishwashers, and microwaves.
Learn more about our appliance repair services by browsing our website or contact us at (516) 473-0202.
How Can We Help You?
Save Money On Your Next Service With Us!