It is not uncommon for water heaters to be the “out of sight, out of mind” appliances in your home. They provide hot water and do their job—until they have a problem. There are a handful of common problems that can arise with your water heater, many of which can be fixed without the expertise of a service technician. We have put together a list of common problems and solutions, but we also recommend regular maintenance for your water heater to function properly. Our team of experienced Long Island plumbers at Universe Home Services can help you with repairs, replacement, and routine maintenance for your water heater so that your showers are hot and your dishes get clean for years to come.
COMMON WATER HEATER COMPLAINTS AND REMEDIES
Water heater problems can often be fixes without an “expert” if you know a little bit about plumbing and how your water heater works. Below are common issues that and potential remedies. As with any home improvement job, if you are unsure about how to fix it or you are worried about making a mistake, contact our team. There is no job too small for our plumbing professionals and it is better to be safe than sorry!
Some common signs of a problem include:
- No hot water: If your water heater is gas powered and you water is not hot as it comes out of the faucet, the most likely problem is that a pilot light has gone out. There are two reasons why this may happen: the thermocouple or a faulty pilot control valve. If is an electric water heater, the heating element may be faulty. Replacement of the thermocouple is a relatively easy job, but if you are not sure about how it I done, call our team for a quick fix-it visit.
- Too little hot water: This is common, especially if you recently moved and the water heater was adjusted for the previous homeowner. You can turn up the hot water heater temperature on the tank’s thermostat but be sure to increase in small increments so you do not burn yourself or family.
- Stinky water: This is a sign of bacteria in the water and can be solved by flushing the tank and filling it with a water and hydrogen peroxide solution. Let the tank sit with this solution for a few hours, then drain and refill. If it is still smelly, you may need to call a plumbing contractor to be sure the problem is not in another area of your plumbing system.
- Leaking tank: Unfortunately, this is usually a sign of old age or a bigger break, one that requires the help of a professional. The most likely fix is replacing the tank.
- Rust colored water: This is often due to the sacrificial anode rod failing, causing the tank to rust internally or if it is glass lined tank, it may be having excessive corrosion. This is something that our team can inspect and remedy for you, so discuss the color and opacity of the water with our professionals.
RELIABLE, TRUSTED WATER HEATER SERVICES ON LONG ISLAND
We understand the importance for hot water in your home, and we want to help make sure that you have a reliable, efficient water heater. Our team can install a new water heater system, make repairs to your system and provide routine maintenance so that you know your water heater is operating at it’s best capacity. If you’re having water heater trouble, contact our team at Universe Home Services for prompt, friendly service in Long Island.
Request a free estimate today at (516) 473-0202.